So you’ve heard of this trend spreading across the country — present-free birthday parties — and your mind lit up. YES! Birthday parties are fun, but the mountain of gifts that you’re left to deal with afterwards? Hard pass. But how do you do it? Here are 15 “No Gifts, Please?” wording ideas to help.
No Gifts, Please Wording Ideas
- No presents, please.
- Please, no gifts.
- Just you, no gifts
- Just bring yourself, nothing more, nothing less.
- Gifts aren’t necessary.
- Your presence is present enough
- Forget what your mama said, please come empty-handed
- The only thing [YOUR CHILD’S NAME] needs is you. Gifts aren’t necessary.
- Your presence is the only gift we need.
- Our child is fortunate enough to have everything he/she needs. Your best wishes are all we ask you to bring for him.
- Memories are the best gifts you could give us. Leave all others at home, please.
- The gift of your time is all that we ask. No presents, please.
- Being environmentally responsible is important to us. Please help us maintain a low carbon footprint by declining to bring a gift.
- We’re going clutter-free around here. Please help support our efforts by coming empty-handed.
- Mom Code: I won’t give your kid a goodie bag if you won’t give my kid a gift.
Make it simple. Make it funny. Make it meaningful. Whatever you do, just make the statement without worrying about making it awkward.
Regardless, even if most people ignore you but ONE person doesn’t bring a gift, that’s one less thing coming into your home and that matters.
If you think the guests attending your party may feel too uncomfortable about not bringing a gift, asking for something else — something that doesn’t have to live in your home — may be a good option.
“Instead of Gifts” Wording Ideas
Here are a few ideas you can ask guests for instead of having them bring presents:
Charitable Donation Birthday Gift
- Instead of a gift, please bring $5, which we will donate to Brennan’s favorite charity, XYZ.
- Instead of a gift, here’s our local pet shelter’s amazon wish list. Please consider donating an item on behalf of [Child’s Name].
- Instead of a gift for [Child’s Name], please bring pet food, dog toys, cat litter, or other pet supply we can donate to a local animal shelter.
Small Gift Request Ideas
- Ask that each child attending the party bring a homemade gift or craft instead of purchasing new.
- Request a drawing of a favorite memory each child has with the birthday boy/girl.
- Have a “fiver party” and ask that everyone bring just $5 for the birthday kid.
No Gifts, Please.
Regardless of your wording, you may have certain guests at your party that can’t handle NOT bringing a gift — after all, it goes against everything they’ve ever known.
If you receive a gift, express your gratitude and move on.